Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Final Designs

FINAL DESIGNS


1. I tried to make this final design as powerful and grabbing as possible, I attempted to make the figures look empowering and I wanted this design to have a symmetrical element to it too, to show that Snowball and Napoleon were equals at this point of the book.

I gave Old Major a flag waving behind him to symbolize Communism, with the bright red colouring. 
I put the more minor animals below Snowball and Napoleon to show a disconnection with the beggining of their power struggle as a kind of foreshadowing.  

2. I drew out the seven commandments being written by Snowball instead of Napoleon or Squealer as I felt as if Snowball believed in them and needed them to be there. Above the board though, I decided to show the animals chasing Mr Jones out with his men as I felt as if the layout would work better like this, and in the top corner I put the farmhouse but had it in a black silhouette to show the irrelevance to it at this point in the book so that I could put it in one of the later on designs to show its increasing relevance as a symbol of the pigs greed. 

3. For this design I drew out the apples being eaten by Napoleon and Squealer, as well as a minor other pig for layout purposes, with the animals below them starving as another sort of foreshadowing of the animals eventual hunger. 

4. I wanted this design to be again more of a propaganda poster than anything else as I felt as if this would have more of a visual impact, I also decided to shadow in the humans faces and some of the minor animals faces to place emphasis on the pigs. 

5. For this design I decided to show the windmill before it was built to hint at its importance in the story as a metaphor for impossible dreams as well as the animals enslavement and oppression, with Snowball being chased by Napoleons dogs infront of it. 

6. For this design I drew out the trading produce to reference the beginning of the trade with the humans, but with Napoleon behind it as an imposing figure to ward off any hungry animals. 
7. This design was one of my most favoured, I drew out a pile of dead animals with Napoleon sitting on top of them and his dogs eating the corpses below. I put the beginning of the poem that Minimus put forward in place of 'Beasts of England' just for comedic effect. 

. 8. With this design I wanted to reference the Raised Fist symbol within lots of different propaganda across the world, I put the fists infront of the farmhouse to give a feel of 'angry mob' aesthetic. 

9. Because of my earlier drawings, I wanted to make this design a lot more subtle with what it was portraying, to reference the subliminal messages within Russian children's illustration books as well as to reference how the animals don't see Boxer die but they find out he is sent to a glue factory.

10. For this final I used one of my earlier designs because I felt it was the most fitting for this chapter and that it was a perfect and bold end to my illustrations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment